In 1997, McKinsey’s Steve Hankincoined the term – “War for talent.” It refers to the fierce competition amongst organizations to attract and retain employees. It’s been more than 25 years since the term originated, but its significance still holds. According to a survey conducted by Korn Ferry, it is projected that a skilled talent shortage is looming by the year 2030. Yet, some organizations are using traditional methods of recruitment to hire fresh tech talent. This is resulting in organizations missing out on top talent. A recent McKinsey report revealed that top talents are up to eight times more productive. In addition, by using traditional recruitment methods such as offline campus interviews, organizations are losing out on top talents.
Off-campus interviews restrict an organization’s access to a talent pool, reduce productivity, and increase overall costs. Imagine recruiters visiting multiple campuses (in some cases more than ten universities, that too in various locations) to hire fresh tech talent. Naturally, it becomes logistically challenging to manage such a recruitment drive. It is also a significant drain on the resources. Not to forget that the entire recruitment process needs to be objective, impartial, and effective simultaneously.
The resources invested in offline campus interviews and skill assessment could be better invested in remotely hiring fresh tech talent. Remotely hiring fresh tech talent helps the organization by:
- Providing access to a broader talent pool unrestricted by geographical boundaries
- Increasing overall productivity
- Reducing overhead costs
- Better utilizing time and resources
Now that we understand the benefits of hiring fresh tech talent remotely let us discuss how a company can supercharge its remote hiring process.
They can do it by simply using an advanced video interviewing platform like Oto_Video. Such video interviewing platforms help engage, assess skills and recruit tech talent in a much quicker and more efficient way than the traditional hiring methods.
Benefits of switching to video interviews to hire fresh tech talent
1. Increased organizational productivity: An advanced online video interview platform helps expedite the recruitment process. This increases the productivity of the company – saving time, resources, and countless man-hours. Improved productivity results in greater profits. Organizations can now quickly assess and hire the best tech talents across multiple university campuses. There is no geographical barrier at all.
2. Soft skills assessment: Back in 2008, Google conducted research called – ‘Project Oxygen’. It’s aimed to find the top characteristics of all Google employees. The project concluded that employees who excelled at Google had one thing in common – their soft skills outweighed their technical skills. Such research proves how critical soft skills are even in the technology industry. Thus, recruiters should take extra care in gauging candidates based on their soft skills. Advanced video interview platforms such as Oto_Video, help gauge a candidate’s soft skills, body language, and communication skills. Such soft skill assessment can help companies identify talents best suited for their organization early in the process.
3. Gauge tech skills: Using video interviews, companies can conduct live interviews wherein the candidates can be gauged on their tech skills simultaneously. Such platforms help recruiters check the candidate’s coding skills and get instant digitized feedback on their skills. Oto_Video offers features such as a discussion room, whiteboard, and in-built code editor to help organizations with tech recruitment and skill assessment.
4. Increased workplace diversity: Gone are the days when tech talent was primarily restricted to people with technological degrees. Companies are now remotely hiring candidates with diverse non-tech backgrounds and tech skills. This results in greater inclusion and workplace diversity and helps find candidates with complementary skill sets. In addition, the video interview platform enables us to reach out to the non-tech workforce from different backgrounds and locations in a scalable fashion.
5. Hire tech talent across the globe: Tech talent is no longer restricted to a particular boundary. They are present across the world. But, the only issue while hiring talent from other countries is the difference in time zone. Oto_Video’s advanced video platform helps conduct synchronous and asynchronous video interviews to overcome this challenge. A synchronous interview can be conducted when both the candidate and recruiter belong to the same time zone. Asynchronous interviews help the candidate answer pre-loaded on-screen questions and share a recording of their responses with the recruiters.
6. Recruit the ‘real’ talent: Impersonation is a common phenomenon in the tech ecosystem. This is every tech recruiter’s nightmare. Using advanced AI-driven video interview platforms like Oto_Video, recruiters can foolproof their entire remote hiring process. This ensures that the candidate is authentic and an asset to the organization.
7. Evaluate the interview process: Feedback is an integral part of any recruitment process. It becomes even more important when the process is spread across multiple roles, departments, and locations. Unfortunately, the traditional recruitment process is time-intensive and lacks the feedback to make the entire process objective. Using video interview platforms like Oto_Video, recruiters can download and analyze interview reports online. They can even record the entire interview, which allows them to get feedback on the recruitment process at their own time and convenience.
With each passing day, the demand for quality fresh tech talent is rapidly increasing. It is rightly said that a company is only as extraordinary as its people. Therefore to achieve extraordinary results, tech recruiters must switch to faster and more efficient recruitment methods such as video interviews. And platforms like Oto_Video can help them to conduct such interviews with ease and rapidly scale their hiring process to hire the best fresh tech talent from a vast pool.
- Embracing Agility and Inclusion: The Power of a Skills-First Approach in Talent Management - August 14, 2023
- How to Reduce Time to Proficiency and Measure Onboarding Effectiveness - August 10, 2023
- Unleashing the Power of AI: Transforming Learning and Development in Your Organization - August 1, 2023