The past two years have significantly altered the business landscape and methods. In many ways, businesses are finding themselves back at the drawing board, as many of the previously established ways of ‘doing a thing’ are no longer effective. Across industries, HR teams have played the vanguard in responding to new work challenges – from being at the center of hiring and retention to managing layoffs and transitioning to hybrid work models. HR leadership is now responding to this massive workforce challenge by emphasizing behavioral competencies and their accurate assessment across the employee life cycle.
What is behavioral competency?
Behavioral competency refers to behavior attributes and personality traits individuals may have, which can help determine how well they can perform in a specific work role. A combination of knowledge, skills, traits, and actions, they can tell people apart when vying for a similar responsibility. It is used to define and measure employees’ behavioral merits that ensure success in their future endeavors in the workplace.
Why does assessing behavioral competencies matter?
It may be noted that behavioral competencies at an individual level can go on to become the company ethos and shape its culture at a macro level and vice versa. Behavioral competencies form the basis for people’s development and significantly contribute to competency frameworks for making crucial recruitment and succession decisions.
- Establishing the code: Behavioral competencies can be employed to define and hold in place an organization’s core values, ethos, and objectives. They can be used to create a shared understanding of the brand intangibles to inspire and guide employees and work interactions.
- Recruitment guide rails: Defining behavioral competencies for new openings is a significant step to improving the organization’s skill base. Behavioral competencies assessment enables hiring the right talent and sets them on a trajectory to success from day one.
- People development and organization planning: Upon identifying behavioral competencies akin to a work role and managerial level, the workforce can then be benchmarked to initiate individual developmental and upskilling plans. This also proves invaluable for all organizational initiatives such as succession planning and leadership development.
While it is easy to gauge technical skills, a list of close-ended questions with predetermined right and wrong answers falls short in assessing behavior, cultural fit, or professional attitude.
How Oto_Qualify helps with assessing critical behavioral competencies for all roles and industries?
Otomyet works to empower you in four key ways:
- Identifying behavioral competencies core to your organization
- Establishing competencies for specific work roles
- Administering tests and exercises to measure critical competencies
- Setting up a detailed competency framework to provide HR with a clearly articulated structure for what success looks like
Oto_Qualify is an AI platform that administers behavioral competency assessments (BCAs) – digital tools to measure an individual’s behavioral competencies. The platform simulates the work environment, re-creating situations a candidate may encounter while on the job to assess their behavioral skills. From more than a hundred assessments that Oto_Qualify can run, here are a few –
- Personality assessment provides an in-depth understanding of what drives people and insights into role suitability and employee development strategy.
- Situational judgment test to assess the candidate’s responses to challenging situations that occur at work in a simulated work environment.
- Abstract reasoning tests measure a candidate’s ability to perceive and think clearly, make meaning out of confusion and formulate new concepts when faced with limited information.
- Critical thinking assessment assesses a candidate’s critical thinking ability and predicts performance in fast-paced positions requiring macro-thinking and analysis.
- Aptitude test measures the candidate’s scholastic aptitude and proficiency in numerical, logical, and verbal abilities.
Why is AI-enabled behavioral assessment a great move?
While the direct benefits of AI-enabled assessments are obvious, there are additional benefits – some you may discover right away, and others accrue over time.
- Assess competencies for any industry, function, and role: With hundreds of tests to pick and choose from, AI behavioral assessment works for profiles across industries, functions, and roles. IT / ITes, BFSI, Pharmaceutical, Manufacturing, and Consumer industry are some industries leading the adoption of AI in HR processes and experiencing significant value generation.
- Overcome the unconscious bias in shortlisting: AI uses data-based insight to reduce unconscious interview bias and works in an error and fatigue-free manner to deliver consistent results.
- Experience the ease and convenience of assessment: You can assess candidates remotely through Oto_Qualify’s secure and live proctoring, customized assessments, automatic test creation, and mobile assessments.
- Real-time insights save cost and time: AI tracks and monitors results using intuitive performance analytics, analyzes and compares the candidate pool, measures only the metrics that matter, and sets benchmarks to know who to hire next. This saves costs and time for the business, with greater efficiency in processes.
- Seamless integration with legacy systems: Several platforms have partnerships with a wide range of renowned ATS and HRIS platforms to help seamless assessment integration into existing systems and processes.
- Better with time: As with all NLP and machine learning applications, as more data becomes available with use, the system evolves to become better. This will be apparent for work profiles that open up frequently and in large numbers, with the system gaining an understanding of the organization’s preferred skills to match its culture and with data from retention of people hired through AI assessment.
Technology has arrived at the right time. If you’re a talent acquisition head or recruiter, including AI to enhance the quality of your organization’s competency frameworks is a significant step towards getting your people and processes future-ready. You can leverage the automated scalability of recruitment functions while effectively employing your time to build more human-centric management.
- Big Challenges Facing Tech Teams and How to Tackle Them - November 15, 2022
- Protect Test Integrity in Remote Assessments with AI - November 7, 2022
- Skill Gaps in Software Development: How to Identify and Close Them? - October 31, 2022